[Dovecot] Login processes don't die

Simon Waters simonw at zynet.net
Fri Feb 17 17:01:29 EET 2006

On Friday 17 Feb 2006 13:30, Jürgen Herz wrote:

> The wiki says "By default each login process will handle only a single
> connection and afterwards kill itself." But it does look different to me.

The login process parents the session and dies at the end of the session.

> But when connecting with Mozilla (Seamonkey)

Seamonkey creates multiple sessions

> So it looks to me as the login processes don't get killed. Is this a
> client issue (but how could it keep the login alive?), is this a known
> bug in the older dovecot, or something unknown?

I think it is working as designed.

I  see three logins, connect via thunderbird create a fourth, when I kill
thunderbird, one of the original three dies.

Some servers have issues with how Mozilla works with multiple connections, but
I don't think it is an issue for dovecot, and really shouldn't be an issue
for any IMAP server.