[Dovecot] index file vs. memory

Gunter Ohrner G.Ohrner at post.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Feb 17 23:55:47 EET 2006

Am Freitag, 17. Februar 2006 20:49, schrieb Marten Lehmann:
> time. Is the index file kept in memory as long as an imap-connection
> exists, or is it closed as soon as a certain read or write command has
> finished?

That imap process' memory usage will grow and shrink over time, but I
observed (on my small single-user box) imap processes consuming several
dozend MB virtual memory sitting around for extended periods of time...

No idea if dovecot can somehow be taught to free it up again as soon as
possible or if it does not seem to be needed at the moment any more...

Greetings,

  Gunter