[Dovecot] index file vs. memory

Marten Lehmann lehmann at cnm.de
Fri Feb 17 21:49:21 EET 2006

Hello,

we have a large base of mailbox users and while pop3-connections are
usually closed after the download of all mails, I noticed hundrets of
imap-connections kept idle by the users. This is surely according to the
idea behind imap, but I'm a bit afraid of overwhelming memory
consumption if there are too many imap-connections opened at the same
time. Is the index file kept in memory as long as an imap-connection
exists, or is it closed as soon as a certain read or write command has
finished?

Regards
Marten