[Dovecot] Thunderbird 1.5 and dovecot 1.0 beta 3 problem

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Feb 20 21:32:08 EET 2006

On Feb 20, 2006, at 9:23 PM, Peter Georgeu wrote:

> On 20/02/2006 9:18 AM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>> On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 17:58 +0000, Peterg wrote:
>>> My mailhosting provider has been testing dovecot 1.0 beta 3 as a
>>> proxy server
>>> and they asked the customers if they would like to test it out
>>> and report any
>>> issues. I am using Thunderbird 1.5 (IMAP) and have been with this
>>> mailhosting
>>> company for two months and have no issues at all with their
>>> current setup which
>>> uses Perdition as their proxy servers.
>>>
>>> The problem(s) I am encountered have been reported here a few
>>> times previously
>>> over the last couple of years but in searching I have not found
>>> any concrete
>>> solutions. When I first tested it out there was a continuous
>>> problem of a
>>> failure in saving a copy of an email to the sent folder although
>>> the message was
>>> sent.
>> There have been bugs in Dovecot before that have caused the
>> sent-mail-saving problems, but those aren't related to proxy
>> server at
>> all.
>> Are you using SSL with these connections?
>> I looked at the code but didn't see any obvious problems. But I
>> suppose
>> there could be something..
>
> Thank you for your reply. I am using SSL.
>
> I do understand that an individual is trying to work out what needs
> to be done to have full logging on the proxy so that what exactly
> is happening at the time these problems arise can be more understood.

I don't think logging itself helps. If it's Dovecot's fault, it's
more likely that it just enters some state where it stops proxying.
For example internally if either server's or client's output buffer
gets full, it stops reading more input from the other side. Once the
output buffer gets emptier it again starts processing more input.
It's possible that there's a bug somewhere in there..

Hmm. Now that I looked at the code, it is kind of ugly and difficult
to follow. I think I'll rewrite parts of it tomorrow.