[Dovecot] index file vs. memory

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Feb 21 18:59:17 EET 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 16:58 +0100, Gunter Ohrner wrote:
> Am Montag, 20. Februar 2006 18:01, schrieb Timo Sirainen:
> > You could also check if it's really heap that's eating the memory or if
> > it's just mmaped index files. If you're running Linux, could you do
> > cat /proc/<imap process pid>/maps and show me what it says?
>
> Ok, second test:
>
> I started kMail (and thus a new imap process) and moved a few thousand (a
> bit more than a total of 10,000) mails from one folder to another, moving
> them in several chunks of about 1000 to 3000 mails each. (kMail bailed
> out when I tried to move > 10,000 mails at a time ;)

You moved them to another IMAP folder, or a local folder?

Do the messages you're moving have any keywords set? eg. some Spam
keyword? Some IMAP clients set them automatically.

> test2 contains the status information after moving of the messages but
> when the source folder was still selected in kMails GUI.

One strange thing about it is that it has dovecot.index.cache file
mmaped, but not dovecot.index file itself.

What settings have you changed in dovecot.conf? Do you have
maildir_copy_with_hardlinks=yes?

Anyway it looks like the heap has grown about 200MB. It shouldn't be
doing that.. I tried testing with Kmail v3.5.1 a bit but couldn't break
it.