[Dovecot] Clients cannot empty trash

Saurabh Barve sa at atmos.colostate.edu
Thu Feb 23 00:11:49 EET 2006

I think this is a pretty frequent problem with the 0.99.x version. I haven't seen a solution for it so far other than just emptying the trash folder. This probably is fixed in the 1.0 versions, but I'm still running 0.99.14, so I'm not sure.

Saurabh

james edwards wrote:
> I am having a problem with Dovecot and imap; users are not being able to
> empty their trash from time to time. Here is what I am running:
>
> [root at xxxx root]# rpm -q dovecot
> dovecot-0.99.13-3.FC3
> [root at xxxx root]# uname -a
> Linux xxxx 2.6.12-1.1381_FC3smp #1 SMP Fri Oct 21 04:03:26 EDT 2005 i686
> i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> [root at xxxx root]#
>
> Several times a week different users get the following pop up message
> when they empty trash (manually by selecting "delete trash" on their
> mail client):
>
> "The current command did not succeed. The mail server responded:
> Internal error occurred. Refer to server log for more information.
> {2006-02-22 08:46:24]."
>
> The quick and dirty fix is to go into their home dir and empty the trash
> folder (ie "> Trash"). I have checked the log and do not see anything useful
> at the time noted in the pop up error message on the users client. I
> have now set up logging to separate files to make debugging a bit easier:
>
> log_path = /var/log/dovecot.log
> info_log_path = /var/log/dovecot-info.log
>
> Most of my users are using Netscape for mail. I have searched the web
> and archives of this list with little luck. Some people mention issues
> with quota
> but I am not running quota.
>
> Has anyone seen this or can point me in the right direction to debug
> this problem further ?
>
> James H. Edwards
> Network Systems Administrator
> Judicial Information Division
> jedwards at nmcourts.com <mailto:jedwards at nmcourts.com>
> (505)476-6960

"Yours is to work. The results will take care of themselves"
-- Swami Vivekanand

Saurabh Barve
sa at atmos.colostate.edu
(970)491-7714