[Dovecot] ssl_parameters_file

Sergey Redin sergey at redin.info
Sat Feb 25 13:13:07 EET 2006

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 12:59:39 +0200
Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-02-25 at 17:31 +0800, Sergey Redin wrote:
> > Hello Timo,
> >
> > What was the reason to remove ssl_parameters_file setting?
> > Is it possible to restore it? We really need it, and I can see no
> > reason to remove this useful setting.
>
> Why do you need it? You know that it wasn't really even working
> before I removed it?

No, I did not know that, in fact I never needed it before.

Here is our problem. We run multiple virtual servers with some
hosting software, including dovecot. Now it generates
ssl-parameters.dat every time it starts, and this means that every time
one of our servers reboots, all the VDS's inside it run
ssl-build-param, and this takes really long before the server is able
to do anything else. We changed ssl_parameters_file to 0 and now dovecot
generates this file only when it is not present, but the problem is
that all the files in /var/run are removed after reboot. So we need to
put the files somewhere else, for example into /usr/local/etc. We can
do it manually, in fact I already created a quick patch that makes
dovecot use "/usr/local/etc/dovecot-ssl-parameters.dat", but we try to
make as little patches as possible.

It is very easy to add this setting back to dovecot (even if it did
not work before), and it will be usefull, at least for us.

--
Sergey Redin