[Dovecot] ssl_parameters_file

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Feb 25 13:25:06 EET 2006

On Sat, 2006-02-25 at 19:13 +0800, Sergey Redin wrote:
> Here is our problem. We run multiple virtual servers with some
> hosting software, including dovecot. Now it generates
> ssl-parameters.dat every time it starts, and this means that every time
> one of our servers reboots, all the VDS's inside it run
> ssl-build-param, and this takes really long before the server is able
> to do anything else. We changed ssl_parameters_file to 0 and now dovecot
> generates this file only when it is not present, but the problem is
> that all the files in /var/run are removed after reboot. So we need to
> put the files somewhere else, for example into /usr/local/etc. We can
> do it manually, in fact I already created a quick patch that makes
> dovecot use "/usr/local/etc/dovecot-ssl-parameters.dat", but we try to
> make as little patches as possible.
>
> It is very easy to add this setting back to dovecot (even if it did
> not work before), and it will be usefull, at least for us.

OK, I had also thought about this problem before. But it's not that
simple actually.. If you put it somewhere else than login_dir, login
processes won't see the file unless you have login_chroot=no, which is a
bad idea.

Maybe it should be written in two places, and when starting up it could
be copied to login_dir from the more permanent directory. I'm just not
sure what would be a correct location for the more permanent directory.
etc maybe, but that also seems a bit bad place.