[Dovecot] Error "make install" of dovecot 1.0b3 - Working !

David A. Lee dlee at calldei.com
Tue Feb 28 05:08:56 EET 2006

Thanks all ! Its finally working !
Tomorrow I'll pound on it.

FYI: here were the problems.

1) the 1.0b3 out of the box doesnt "make install" without errors.  Thanks to
Ignacio for sending me a different src RPM that DOES work.

2) Had to add non-documented listen clauses to the imap protocol to test
side-by-side a working UofW installation

3) I had to create a "dovecot" service in my /etc/pam.d/ directory

4) had to add "mail" as an extra group to get write access to /var/mail

Now seems to work great !  Thanks everyone ...

Who would I send these notes to hopefully get these issues either fixed or
documented ?

Thanks again ! I cant wait to see if this solves some of my nagging IMAP
problems ... the first is already solved, no need to set "Root Folder" which
is not available on my PPC IMAP as an option ...
Next I'd like to see if it behaves nicely with OUtlook Express ... UofW
works "ok" but I so often get server errors trying to move files its very
annoying ... (I think its in the middle of refreshing a folder and doesnt
like having things moved from under it)

-David Lee