[Dovecot] Documentation updates in Wiki

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Jan 8 00:31:10 EET 2006

I started writing a new front page for wiki.dovecot.org:

http://wiki.dovecot.org/NewIndex

This is partially based on the comments in Documentation thread starting
from here: http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2005-July/008076.html

"A simple Dovecot installation" section is pretty much finished from my
point of view. I hope it's clear enough for anyone wanting to install a
working Dovecot server. Suggestions are welcome of course. You're also
welcome to just edit the pages directly. I'll get email notifications of
all page changes, so if I see changes that I don't think belong in
there, I'll just remove them and maybe move them elsewhere (so don't add
too much text without asking :).

I'm not sure about what exactly should be visible in the front page.
Currently there's probably too much. But I think it's better to show
more than too little, so that new people can just look at the page and
quickly pick up the interesting keywords without having to click through
multiple pages.

Maybe most of the sub-sections in "full guide" section could be listed
only under those root sections. So that it becomes something like:

 * Starting guidelines
 * Authentication configuration
 * Mail configuration
   * Namespaces
   * Shared folders
 * SSL
 * POP3
 * Dovecot LDA
 * Full configuration file reference
 * Examples / Scenarios

I'd leave namespaces and shared folders there so that they can be easily
found.

I'm not sure where to put "full configuration file reference" or what
exactly to call it. The same goes for Examples/Scenarios.

Tuning should maybe be only part of "full guide".

"Generic information about mail servers" is meant for discussion of mail
server components, protocols, etc. without being too much
Dovecot-specific. It's partially for "mail server newbies", but also
would contain some "hard core" information about how things really work
(mailbox format and user authentication especially).

Anyway, if you have time please start adding the missing pages and
writing to them. Even if you only give a FIXME-list that others can then
fill out :)

My school starts again at monday, and I'll be too busy to do anything
else than that and work for the rest of January (after that only finals,
yay).