[Dovecot] Wild Idea for a feature

Marc Perkel marc at perkel.com
Mon Jan 9 18:30:50 EET 2006

OK - this is a wild idea and wondering what it would take to make it
possible.

I get a lot of email from a lot of different people about a lot of
different issues. What I need is a way to do some server side presorting
of email into specific folders. I can build a LOT of Mozilla rules but
that is too cumbersome for what I have in mind.

Here's what I'm thinking - one classification of email is "customers"
and what I want to do is to drag an email into the customers server side
folder and once I do that then any incoming email that comes from that
person goes into the customers folder.

I'm trying to envision how to code this and I think what I would need is
if Dovecot were to create an external berkeley db file or mysql database
of what is a list of email addresses contained in the folder that could
be quickly searched for a match, that might do it. I think I could write
a backent in Exim to handle it.

This idea isn't yet well though out. I'm just throwing it out there to
see if it's feasable.

Thoughts?