[Dovecot] How long to 1.0?

Apostolis Papayanakis apap at ccf.auth.gr
Thu Jan 12 16:55:27 EET 2006

Roger Weeks wrote:

>  On Jan 11, 2006, at 8:18 PM, Kenneth Porter wrote:
>
> > I didn't know if there was a reason to switch away from other
> > servers, such as Courier or Cyrus.
>

>  Well two things convinced us:
>
>  Dovecot is fast and stable. The developer answers
>  requests/questions/pleas, sometimes within 10 minutes.
>
>  Plus there is an active list where people actually answer questions.
>  I can't say that for courier or cyrus. The lists for both of those
>  servers are full of people with bad answers and bad attitudes! Who
>  wants that?
>
>  Roger Weeks

    I have been enjoying to read this list (almost daily) since 2004, as
mostly nice people hang around. I guess the whole
internet is looking forward onto dovecot1.0 (and certainly Timo).

    As an operator of a 30,000 user mail service (mbox uw-imap...
bliah), I think I understand why Timo
is not in a overwhelming harry to release dovecot-1.0stable without
thorough testing. I don't think that any
programmer wants to put up with even a few angry users who believe
(maybe out of ignorance)  that
the programmer lost their mails. With 1.0-alpha numbering everybody
knows that he can't have guaranteed stability.

    After all that has been said, dovecot-1.0alpha is too  mature and
mature for an 1.0alpha.
As soon as dovecot-1.0beta comes out,  I plan to deploy it on a
production server, but only for a few
selected mbox/maildir power users, whilst the rest of the users of this
server will still use uw-imap/mbox.
The latter is possible through the excelent perdition
pop3/imap-multiplexer proxy I have in use.

    In the back of my mind I hope that dovecot-1.0 will be released
stable before the summer of 2006.

Apostolis Papayanakis