[Dovecot] How long to 1.0?

Fredrik Tolf fredrik at dolda2000.com
Fri Jan 13 22:00:38 EET 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 21:52 -0800, Roger Weeks wrote:
> Plus there is an active list where people actually answer questions.

Indeed. Thanks everyone for all the answers to my mail!

I've been using 1.0-alpha5 about since I asked, and it has been working
fairly well for me since then. There are just the occasional problem of
Dovecot taking extremely long (>1 min) to do some operation every once
and then. When I've tried stracing it during that time, it has once been
doing something with the index, and the other times it seems to be in
the ordinary idle loop, even though evolution says that it's attempting
to do something (I don't think it's an Evo problem, since I never
experienced it with UW-IMAP).

At the end, though, it is *much* nicer than using UW-IMAP, so I have no
real reason to complain. My reason to use Dovecot is that it seems to be
just about the *only* IMAP server that is capable of both Maildir
storage and GSS-API authentication. When your mboxes start to grow to
sizes of ~50 MB (and are accessed over NFS), Maildir is a blessing, to
say the least.

Fredrik Tolf