[Dovecot] Re: Dovecot memory use and settings

Roger Weeks rjw at mcn.org
Fri Jan 13 01:43:56 EET 2006

We're continuing to have dovecot auth-worker failures once or more
times per day.  The symptoms are these in the log:

pop1 dovecot: auth-worker(default): Out of memory (Needed 8164 bytes)

or

auth-worker(default): sql(lewis1,12.43.59.134): Password query
failed: MySQL client ran out of memory

Timo suggested that we need to up the
auth_process_size = 256

However, we've tried increasing this to 512 and then 768.  The
comment on the entry says
# Set max. process size in megabytes.

These changes don't seem to make any difference.  On both of our
servers (RH ES4, 1MB RAM), we never seem to have more than 300MB of
RAM used.

However, the auth-worker process continues to fail occasionally.  It
does respawn itself after a couple of minutes, but in that time all
authentication for dovecot fails.

Am I missing something else in the config?

--
Roger J. Weeks
Systems & Network Administrator