[Dovecot] Invisible messages

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.net
Fri Jan 27 21:32:59 EET 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 19:25 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> The text file looks exactly like an mbox file - it is the two messages,
> complete with headers, concatenated.

That's strange. It probably includes
From ....
lines too, making it a complete mbox file.

> There already is an .INBOX.Design folder, set up with all the correct
> contents.

Except the missing two mails? I guess you see all these via dovecot too,
right? And in a folder displayed as something like INBOX/Design by your
mail client.

> I wonder what would happen if I renamed Design to Pattern?

That still wouldn't be correct. It should be named .Pattern.

> I wonder if .INBOX.Design would then show up?

Oh inbox.design does not show up via imap?

> And if it did, would I be able to simply move the messages into the
> correct folder using a file manager?

In theory, yes, but you'd have to look out for filename clashes.

Here's how maildir works:
Maildir/
  cur/    <- all mails in INBOX go here
  new/    <- new mails stored here until dovecot moves them to cur
  tmp/
  .INBOX/ <- only dovecot control stuff in here
  .FOLDER/
    cur/  <- mails in FOLDER go here
    new/  <- new mails stored here until dovecot moves them to cur
    tmp/
  .INBOX.FOLDER/
    cur,new,tmp  - mail for subfolder FOLDER of INBOX go here.

Maybe dovecot is tripped up by the fact that you indeed have .Design,
but it isn't a folder. Selecting it in your mail client (if it shows)
should give an error (dovecot has an option to ignore non-directories,
so that might be on too)

johannes