[Dovecot] Shared maildirs

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Jan 29 13:03:54 EET 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-29 at 21:31 +1100, grant beattie wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 29, 2006 at 12:04:02PM +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>
> > > Can anyone give a realistic timeframe for when Shred maildirs will be
> > > officially supported?
> >
> > What do you need from shared folders? Is it enough if administrator sets
> > them up, or would users also need to set them up via ACLs?
>
> the most important thing regarding shared folders for me would be
> users having their own seen flags on the mailbox.

I thought that already worked, but looks like it got lost long time ago
when I rewrote maildir syncing code.

There is a pretty simple way to do this, but I'm not sure how good idea
it is. If each user has their own separate index files, the flags can
simply be stored there. If seen-flag is wanted to be private, then it's
stored only in the index file, and the seen-flag in maildir filenames is
ignored. All other flags are read/updated as usual.

The one problem with that is that index files aren't 100% reliable.
Although it is in my TODO that I should make the code to do less "oh
well, we're corrupted, let's rebuild everything" and more trying to fix
the problem and preserve all information that it can.

Courier handles shared maildirs by making symlinks to each mail so that
the private flags are stored in symlink names and shared flags in the
filename where the symlink points to. I don't know if I want to bother
adding support for that.