[Dovecot] Improving interaction/performance with Mail.app?

Alan Schmitt alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org
Sat Jul 1 10:51:24 EEST 2006

On 1 juil. 06, at 02:23, Chris Cappuccio wrote:

> out of curiousity, how do you know it's mail.app?

I don't, but I have seen reports of bad IMAP performance for Mail.app
but no such report for dovecot, so it was my first assumption.

> have you tested your imap server with other clients?
> maybe your server has problems.....

It could be a possibility. The strange thing is that it does not
matter how many clients are connected, the behavior is often the
same: messages are copied or deleted one per minute (it seems), and I
see every minute in the log things like:
Jun 28 16:21:51 top dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<schmitta>,
method=PLAIN, rip=::1, l ip=::1, secured
Jun 28 16:21:52 top dovecot: IMAP(schmitta): Disconnected
Jun 28 16:22:52 top dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<schmitta>,
method=PLAIN, rip=::1, l ip=::1, secured
Jun 28 16:22:54 top dovecot: IMAP(schmitta): Disconnected

It should also be noted that since I installed OS X.4.7, things seem
to be working better.

> the only things you can tweak in dovecot are the client workarounds,

Ah, nice to point this out. I just turned on "delay-newmail" as it's
indicated to help with OS X.

> and turning on/off indexing, which i assume you have on

I did not change anything about indexing.

> maybe you could explain the problems in more detail?

Well, it seems that Mail.app copies or deletes messages one at a
time, and sometimes wait for one minute between two messages. When
this happens, going to another mailbox (to read messages, for
instance) takes forever, and coming back to the mailbox where the
messages were deleted shows them, until they get deleted on the
server. I don't really know how to explain it differently (which is
probably part of the problem as well ;-) ).

Thanks a lot,

Alan

--
Alan Schmitt <http://alan.petitepomme.net/>

The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool
happen.
.O.
..O
OOO