[Dovecot] Just one user experiencing server timeouts

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Jul 1 22:48:32 EEST 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 17:24 -0500, Fran Fabrizio wrote:
> However, I created a new user account using our standard account
> creation processes, and did a direct copy of olduser's Maildir to
> newuser's homedir.  Then I did a chown -R newuser ~newuser/Maildir, set
> up an account in Thunderbird for newuser's account, and tried for an
> hour to get a server timeout doing all the same operations that cause
> the timeout on olduser's account, with no timeouts.  I absolutely cannot
> duplicate the behavior, but when I watch olduser do this from any of the
> above named clients, I see the timeouts on about 10% of the operations.

If you can make him reproduce this, you could see what the strace looks
like:

http://wiki.dovecot.org/Debugging/ProcessTracing

If you can't interactively do this, you could change mail_executable in
config file to point to some script, which for normal users just does
"exec /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap" but for this user does:

exec strace -tt -o imap.log.`date +s` /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap

Or something.

> I've been looking into this off and on for weeks, but I am baffled.  I
> can't think of what is so specific about this one user's account that is
> causing the trip up.  Both home directories are stored on the same
> filesystem and as I mentioned I made an exact duplicate of Maildir.  I'm
> completely out of ideas, does anyone have any thoughts?  Does Dovecot do
> any data tracking on a per user basis that could be confusing it, some
> cache I can clear?  Dovecot has been restarted numerous times since the
> trouble started.

I guess you could try clearing the dovecot.index* files from the Trash
mailbox.