[Dovecot] writing a plugin for LDA to chain Unix pipes

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Sun Jul 2 18:26:10 EEST 2006

also sprach John Peacock <jpeacock at rowman.com> [2006.07.01.1928 +0200]:
> I'm using the former mode (with vpopmail) for dspam scanning at
> the domain level and it works fine.  The only issue I know of with
> the above is if the first command in the pipe dumps core, then no
> error will be propagated back and the message will be lost without
> trace.

Mh, these chances are pretty slim, but I do wonder why. If the
application dumps core, the shell will know and exit non-zero...

Btw, my concern was about the spamc -e flag, where the manpage says:

  Note that there is a very slight chance mail will be lost here,
  because if the fork-and-exec fails there’s no place to put the
  mail message.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=spamassassin-users&m=115185095923772&w=2

> > Also, the above spawns an expensive shell process, doesn't it?
>
> At that point in the delivery process, everything is asynchronous
> (meaning the queue can handle each delivery at whatever rate it
> wants to without slowing down accepting mail), so it really
> doesn't matter whether spawning a shell is a performance drag.

Well, it does, if you get several thousand mails per hour.

> Besides, dspam is very resource intensive (as is spamassassin) so
> the addition of a shell process is truly immaterial...

This is true, of course.

  \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net at madduck

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net

"'this must be a thursday,' said arthur to himself, sinking low over
 his beer.  'i never could get the hang of thursdays.'"
                                 -- hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy