[Dovecot] rc1: Questions about ssl-build-param!!??

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at colby.edu
Sun Jul 2 20:05:17 EEST 2006

Timo,

My setup: Solaris 9, 1.0rc1, built like so:

CC=gcc CFLAGS="-g -O" CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/openssl/include \
LDFLAGS=-L/opt/openssl/lib ./configure --prefix=/opt/dovecot.1.0rc1 \
         --with-ssl=openssl --with-ssldir=/opt/openssl/ssl \
         --with-sql-drivers=no --disable-ipv6

using gcc 4.1.0.  Protocols are imap and imaps.

My system paniced and crashed in the middle of the night, and
after it came up the ssl-parameters.dat file was messed up.
>From syslog:

child 1965 (login) returned error 89
imap-login: Can't open SSL parameter file ssl-parameters.dat: Permission denied

Nobody was getting their email via imap.  So I removed the directories
/opt/dovecot/var and /var/run/dovecot to get dovecot to rebuild the
ssl-parameters.dat file.  Questions:

1) Why on Earth does ssl-build-param take so long??!!  (> 12 minutes on
my E220R)  What is it doing?  How to speed this process up, and/or tune it?

2) Where does ssl-parameters.dat get written to?  I found one copy in
the /opt/dovecot/var/lib/dovecot directory, and one copy in
/var/run/dovecot/login.  Which copy gets used?

3) What are the permissions supposed to be for ssl-parameters.dat?  The
copy in /var/run was chown root:other and chmod 640.  I could not get rid
of the syslog "permission denied" until I made it chmod 644.

4) Likewise the directories /opt/dovecot/var and below get created
chown root:other and chmod 750, with ssl-parameters.dat chmod 640.
What should these perms be?

Jeff Earickson
Colby College