[Dovecot] rc1: Questions about ssl-build-param!!??

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Jul 2 20:53:32 EEST 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-02 at 13:05 -0400, Jeff A. Earickson wrote:
> imap-login: Can't open SSL parameter file ssl-parameters.dat: Permission denied
>
> Nobody was getting their email via imap.  So I removed the directories
> /opt/dovecot/var and /var/run/dovecot to get dovecot to rebuild the
> ssl-parameters.dat file.  Questions:

Yea, this was a problem if directories are in different filesystems..

> 1) Why on Earth does ssl-build-param take so long??!!  (> 12 minutes on
> my E220R)  What is it doing?  How to speed this process up, and/or tune it?

It does. :) But once it's created, it's by default updated only once a
week. You can also disable updating it completely.

> 2) Where does ssl-parameters.dat get written to?  I found one copy in
> the /opt/dovecot/var/lib/dovecot directory, and one copy in
> /var/run/dovecot/login.  Which copy gets used?

Because some systems delete everything in /var/run at startup, I changed
1.0rc1 to write it first into /opt/dovecot/var/lib/dovecot and copy it
from there to /var/run.

> 3) What are the permissions supposed to be for ssl-parameters.dat?  The
> copy in /var/run was chown root:other and chmod 640.  I could not get rid
> of the syslog "permission denied" until I made it chmod 644.

644 is fine. This copying is fixed in CVS.

> 4) Likewise the directories /opt/dovecot/var and below get created
> chown root:other and chmod 750, with ssl-parameters.dat chmod 640.
> What should these perms be?

Isn't it created with 644 in /opt/dovecot/var? It should be, and is with
me..