[Dovecot] Migrating to dovecot

Johann Spies jspies at sun.ac.za
Tue Jul 4 17:20:35 EEST 2006

I do not have much experience in setting up imap servers - only that I
have tried several and experienced the same problem with all of them.  I
suppose that is because I do not really know the in's and out's of an
imap server.

What I want to do is to setup an IMAP server on my PC with full access
to all the emails already there in a maildir structure.

I have the following setup:

fetchmail ->  procmail -> maildir

exim for outgoing mail.

When I install an imap server, I loose access to my present emails in
~/Mail and most imap-servers (dovecot included) seems to create a new
structure within ~/Mail.  ~/Maildir is a symlink to ~/Mail.

Now my questions:

1.  How do I set up dovecot to serve the present maildir to the user?
2.  Related to 1: How do I migrate my emails to the new imap-maildir
    structure without losing any?
3.  How would my present procmail-setup change?  At the moment I have
    entries like the following:

    MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail             # you'd better make sure it exists
    DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/Ander/new          # completely optional
   :0:
   saspam/new

   :0:

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in
      trouble."
                              Psalms 46:1