[Dovecot] Dovecot authentication issue with postgresql

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Jul 5 00:38:10 EEST 2006

On Jul 5, 2006, at 12:29 AM, wernervdm at topbilling.com wrote:

> Good day,
>
> I am having trouble getting dovecot to authenticate using postgresql.
> For some reason, it fails on a PAM error, although I have specified
> pgsql
> as authentication?..
..
> auth_userdb = pgsql /etc/dovecot-pgsql.conf
> auth_passdb = pgsql /etc/dovecot-pgsql.conf

Dovecot doesn't try to use PAM unless you have it configured in
config file, so either you have auth_passdb = pam elsewhere in the
file, or you're modifying the wrong file.

In any case, I'd suggest you don't even try to use Dovecot 0.99.x
versions. They're ancient and unsupported in case of problems.