[Dovecot] Postfix/Dovecot/SaSL/MySQL Problem

James Bowling james at jamesbowling.com
Wed Jul 5 08:26:50 EEST 2006

I have a current working installation of Postfix, Dovecot and MySQL.  I
want to utilize the Dovecot implementation of SaSL for SMTP-AUTH.  Here
is the issue I am running into when making the appropriate changes to my
configs, when starting Dovecot with the addition of the socket listen
configuration in dovecot.conf, I see this error in the logs:

Jul  5 00:02:11 localhost dovecot: Dovecot v1.0.beta9 starting up
Jul  5 00:02:12 localhost dovecot: child 25908 (auth) returned error 89
Jul  5 00:02:12 localhost dovecot: child 25910 (auth) returned error 89
Jul  5 00:02:12 localhost dovecot: child 25911 (auth) returned error 89
Jul  5 00:02:12 localhost dovecot: child 25912 (auth) returned error 89
Jul  5 00:02:12 localhost dovecot: Auth process died too early -
shutting down
Jul  5 00:02:12 localhost dovecot: auth(default): Socket already exists:
/var/spool/postfix/private/auth

Not quite sure why this is happening...I searched on google for this and
found nothing.  If anyone could please shed some light on this for me
then please do as it would be appreciated.

And for good measure:
Postfix v2.3-RC5
Dovecot 1.0b9

Regards,