[Dovecot] Trash expire plugin

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Thu Jun 8 18:20:16 EEST 2006

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> 3) Add a new field to index file which contains the date when the
> message was copied.

This is the best solution, to my mind, as it has the extreme benefit of
doing what makes the most sense to the enduser.  In other words, I
receive a message today and move it to Trash immediately.  My sysadmin
has helpfully told me that messages older than 7 days will be deleted
from Trash.  The act of copying it to Trash starts the clock running.
Moving the file out of Trash and back in the next day restarts the
clock.  Anything that messes with INTERNALDATE will inevitably be wrong
for the indecisive user.

I was going to argue for option #2, but then I realized that if I sit on
a message for weeks and then Trash it, it would make more sense that it
would be deleted 7 days hence, not that night.  Sites running without
indexes shouldn't use this feature (or possibly this feature should be
disabled if the appropriate index doesn't exist).

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group