[Dovecot] Dovecot randomly stops responding

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Jun 18 00:31:37 EEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 01:18 +0100, Miguel Saturnino wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm running Dovecot 1.0beta7 on FreeBSD 6.0 (i386) and it randomly stops
> responding. To mitigate the problem I made a little ruby scripts which
> logs in to the POP3 server every 3 minutes and, in case of error (the
> errors are usually timeout or end of file errors), restarts Dovecot.
> Although this keeps this keeps things working, I'd like to figure out
> what is causing Dovecot to stop responding. Looking at the logs, nothing
> stands out except that there is always one or more of these messages
> just before Dovecot stops responding:
>
> Apr 20 19:25:00 zeus dovecot[62881]: pop3-login: Disconnected:
> Inactivity: rip=209.123.xxx.xxx, lip=64.21.xxx.xxx

Have you figured out anything yet?

Do you mean that after it stops responding, nothing else comes to log
files anymore? And when connecting to Dovecot it doesn't give any
replies? Do you use only POP3 or also IMAP?

What passdb and userdb are you using? Have you straced dovecot-auth (and
pop3-login and dovecot maybe) while it's broken?