[Dovecot] 2nd Question on v1.0 setup and maildir

Patrick Carney patrick at castandcrew.com
Thu Jun 22 19:15:55 EEST 2006

  _____

From: Patrick Carney [mailto:patrick at castandcrew.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2006 8:55 AM
To: 'dovecot at dovecot.org'
Subject: Question on v1.0 setup and maildir

Hello all.

I appreciate the responses to my problem on v0.99.14. Thank you all.

We have built a new server running version 1.0-0_15.beta9.el4.  The mail
delivery agent is sendmail. We seem to have gotten it up fairly easily. But
we have one problem. We are using the maildir feature instead of mbox and
when ever mail gets delivered, it is not sending it to the \maildir\new
folder. It seems to be dumping it in the root of the maildir directory, thus
when a client checks for email, it appears nothing is there.

Here is a sample from our config. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
Forgive me if this is elementary question, but I am new to dovecot.

## Mailbox locations and namespaces

##

# Default MAIL environment to use when it's not set. By leaving this empty

# dovecot tries to do some automatic detection as described in

# doc/mail-storages.txt. There are a few special variables you can use, eg.:

#

#   %u - username

#   %n - user part in user at domain, same as %u if there's no domain

#   %d - domain part in user at domain, empty if there's no domain

#   %h - home directory

#

# See doc/variables.txt for full list. Some examples:

#

#   default_mail_env = maildir:/var/mail/%1u/%u/Maildir

#   default_mail_env = mbox:~/mail/:INBOX=/var/mail/%u

#   default_mail_env = mbox:/var/mail/%d/%n/:INDEX=/var/indexes/%d/%n

#

default_mail_env = maildir:/home/%u/Maildir

# If you need to set multiple mailbox locations or want to change default

# namespace settings, you can do it by defining namespace sections:

#

# You can have private, shared and public namespaces. The only difference

# between them is how Dovecot announces them to client via NAMESPACE

# extension. Shared namespaces are meant for user-owned mailboxes which are

# shared to other users, while public namespaces are for more globally

# accessible mailboxes.

#

# REMEMBER: If you add any namespaces, the default namespace must be added

# explicitly, ie. default_mail_env does nothing unless you have a namespace

# without a location setting. Default namespace is simply done by having a

# namespace with empty prefix.

#namespace private {

   # Hierarchy separator to use. You should use the same separator for all

   # namespaces or some clients get confused. '/' is usually a good one.

   #separator = /

   # Prefix required to access this namespace. This needs to be different
for

   # all namespaces. For example "Public/".

   #prefix =

   # Physical location of the mailbox. This is in same format as

   # default_mail_env, which is also the default for it.

   #location =

   # There can be only one INBOX, and this setting defines which namespace

   # has it.

   #inbox = yes

   # If namespace is hidden, it's not advertised to clients via NAMESPACE

   # extension or shown in LIST replies. This is mostly useful when
converting

   # from another server with different namespaces which you want to
depricate

   # but still keep working. For example you can create hidden namespaces
with

   # prefixes "~/mail/", "~%u/mail/" and "mail/".

   #hidden = yes

#}

# Grant access to these extra groups for mail processes. Typical use would
be

# to give "mail" group write access to /var/mail to be able to create
dotlocks.

#mail_extra_groups =

# Allow full filesystem access to clients. There's no access checks other
than

# what the operating system does for the active UID/GID. It works with both

# maildir and mboxes, allowing you to prefix mailboxes names with eg. /path/

# or ~user/.

#mail_full_filesystem_access = no

##