[Dovecot] Shared Folders (1.0beta3)

Timothy White dovecot.user at weirdo.bur.st
Tue Mar 7 07:37:05 EET 2006

On 07/03/06, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-03-06 at 18:45 +0800, Timothy White wrote:
> > A few quick questions, as documentation seems to be sparse.
> > * Is there a way to force a shared folder to be subscribed to? If I am
> > using SquirrelMail I have a plugin to do that, but not if they are
> > using another IMAP client.
>
> There are some dirty ways, such as you could execute a script instead of
> imap binary in mail_executable, and make the script subscribe to the
> folder if it's not subscribed.
>
> I've thought about adding a custom unsubscribe ACL so that users
> couldn't unsubscribe even if they wanted to.

Hmmm, that would be good I think. One thing we wish to have in this
system I am setting up (and crossing my fingers that I can use Dovecot
for it), is an "Official" mail box, that is forced into every users
account, along with the Inbox. But I still need to look into how the
quota's work, and if I will be able to get them working how I want it.

> > * Are there some sort of ACL's on shared folders, so that I can
> > (hopefully with a sql backend), allow different users different
> > permissions on the folder?
>
> In CVS there's support for Courier-like ACL files. SQL backend could be
> implemented, but it's not in my near future plans. Any suggestions how
> its schema would look like?

I'm not sure, I guess if I get any ideas, I will let you know.

> > * Is it a bug that we can't subscribe to the shared folder, only to
> > it's sub folders? (and is there a way to work around this, i.e. if the
> > shared folder isn't really a Maildir, but it's sub folders are?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean. I'd guess you're trying to subscribe to
> shared namespace root? It only means it's a namespace root, not a
> mailbox directly. So typically you'd have some "shared/" namespace under
> which all the shared mailboxes are.

Yes. As I suspected, the namespace does not need to be an Maildir,
it's just a folder that contains the shared mailboxes. Not sure if it
was just the way I read it, or if the wiki page is a little to vague.
I might go and edit it after work, to be more clear.

Tim
p.s. Just an encouraging word. Subscribing to this list, has
brightened my day, giving me PROOF that dovecot is in active
development, and moving ahead with speed! I was getting worried,
looking at the website every few months, and seeing little change ;-)
I have no problem with slow development, but seeing that this project
is active, is really good! Plus, your working on an awesome project!
:-D
--
Linux Counter user #273956