[Dovecot] Can I install in the following fashion?

Chris Wakelin c.d.wakelin at reading.ac.uk
Tue Mar 7 17:06:58 EET 2006

I believe so. I routinely just copy the imap, imap-login (and optionally
pop3, pop3-login) dovecot-auth and dovecot binaries (all but the last in
the libexec directory, the last in the sbin directory) and dovecot.conf
(in the etc directory).

You'll also need ssl_build_param (hardcoded to be in the libexec
directory, I think, all the other paths can be specified in the conf
file) if you use SSL/TLS.

Dovecot is probably better run as a standalone daemon rather than under
inetd (the latter has been broken in the past, but I think I remember
seeing somewhere that it has been fixed in the latest betas).

Best Wishes,
Chris

--
Christopher Wakelin,                           c.d.wakelin at reading.ac.uk
IT Services Centre, The University of Reading,  Tel: +44 (0)118 378 8439
Whiteknights, Reading, RG6 2AF, UK              Fax: +44 (0)118 975 3094