[Dovecot] 1.0 beta3 not preserving X-Keyword header?

Gregory K. Ruiz-Ade gkra at ucsd.edu
Tue Mar 7 23:02:18 EET 2006

We've been putting 1.0 Beta 3 through the paces on our test system, and one
of our users pointed out to me that Thunderbird's "labels" behave strangely
on the new server.  In fact, there used to be a header added to the message
via IMAP when Thunderbird placed a label on a message, but as of the switch
from 0.99.11 to 1.0beta3, this label header is no longer placed in the message.

Specifically, Thunderbird adds the "X-Keyword: $LabelN" header when you add
a label to the message in tbird, where "N" is [1-9].  This works on dovecot
0.99.11 (RHEL4), but not on 1.0beta3.  1.0b3 doesn't seem to add this header
at all, but rather seems to keep this information somewhere else.  Perhaps
in the .imap indexes?

We're using mbox stores on the server.  This was tested with both
Thunderbird 1.0.7 (most widely deployed) and Thunderbird 1.5.

Aditionally, we've found that if the .imap index directories are removed,
all the Thunderbird labels on messages seem to get "confused", too.  I.e.,
if the user uses multiple machines throughout the day, changes in one client
may not be reflected in another, when the user moves to a different system.

I'm still trying to get more details from the users, but have been doing
preliminary testing that verifies this.  One of the users complaining about
this is my manager, who makes extensive use of Thunderbird's "Label"
feature, so he's a bit nervous. :\

Another thing we've noticed is the potential for bad behavior if a use
switches from the old dovecot to the new dovecot, which seems to be resolved
if the .imap indexes are removed...

Let me know what other information is needed, and I'll do my best to collect it.

Gregory

--
Gregory K. Ruiz-Ade
Sr. Systems Administrator