[Dovecot] Can I install in the following fashion?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Mar 8 00:24:06 EET 2006

On Mar 7, 2006, at 8:55 PM, Stewart Dean wrote:

> I think this is more of what I'd prefer (moving a few executables,
> vs. trying to bring everything over from the original build
> environment...which I was only doing because I assumed that....if
> make install installed it, most of it must be necessary). But some
> questions:
> 1) will dovecot look for dovecot.conf always in /etc?  That is, if
> I run configure with:
>
> --eprefix=/usr/local/dovecot-bld/<timestamp>
> --prefix=/usr/local/dovecot-bld/<timestamp>

I guess --eprefix means --exec-prefix? In any case that's not needed,
it defaults to --prefix.

> will the executables look to
>
> /usr/local/dovecot-bld/<timestamp>/etc/dovecot.conf

Yes.

> 2) Similarly, will ssl_build_param refer to the IBM OPenSSL
> idiosyncratic locations passed through CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS or will
> it have dovecot looking for stuff in /usr/local/dovecot-bld/
> <timestamp>

CPPFLAGs and LDFLAGS shouldn't affect anything at runtime (except
maybe -R parameter with some linkers to specify library lookup paths).

> 3) Is the location and packaging of dovecot pretty much stable at
> this point?  By this I mean, will the things I have to update as
> Dovecot updates pretty much be constrained to just the files you
> mentioned?

Dovecot 2.0 has some new binaries, but before that nothing should
really change.