[Dovecot] OS X-centricities? Too many files, temp, indexes, etc...

Dean Blackburn dean.blackburn at viz.com
Wed Mar 22 00:26:00 EET 2006

I'm just writing to see if anyone else is seeing the following issues,
and particularly if they are running OS X (especially 10.4), and/or have
compatible solutions (I've been reading the mailing list quite a bit,
and every now and then, I find a solution that just "doesn't work"
because of the differences in OS:

1) Too many files open  - no plimit command on OS X, so I can't figure
out how to increase the max number of open files... Also, are there any
alternative means of CLOSING the files? stopping/restarting dovecot
didn't seem to help;

2) I was running 1.0beta1 last week, and am now on 1.0beta3, but I'm
still not seeing corrupt indexes/other dovecot files rebuilding
themselves. I really can't stick with this solution if I'll always have
to worry about manually fixing broken caches/indexes.

3) Any advice on fcntl/flock on OS X, particularly? They both appear to
work, but I'd prefer to use the fastest/least resource intensive options
for everything if possible.

Thanks!

-deano