[Dovecot] OS X-centricities? Too many files, temp, indexes, etc...

Nicholas Riley njriley at uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 22 02:04:57 EET 2006

On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 02:26:00PM -0800, Dean Blackburn wrote:
> I'm just writing to see if anyone else is seeing the following issues,
> and particularly if they are running OS X (especially 10.4), and/or have
> compatible solutions (I've been reading the mailing list quite a bit,
> and every now and then, I find a solution that just "doesn't work"
> because of the differences in OS:
>
> 1) Too many files open  - no plimit command on OS X, so I can't figure
> out how to increase the max number of open files... Also, are there any
> alternative means of CLOSING the files? stopping/restarting dovecot
> didn't seem to help;

You can use limit/ulimit - depending on how you start dovecot.  (If
you use launchd, take a look at 'launchctl limit maxfiles'.)

If you need to change it for the system, you can use sysctl - though
at least on my machine the default seem more than adequate:

[p7:1004] ~%sysctl -a | grep files                                       6:01PM
kern.maxfiles = 12288
kern.maxfilesperproc = 10240

--
Nicholas Riley <njriley at uiuc.edu> | <http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/njriley>