[Dovecot] Some moved or copied messages get stuck in tmp

Luis Meléndez luism at uco.es
Sat Mar 25 22:20:49 EET 2006

Hello.
I have seen in recent posts that there are other people
with this problem, and it is very important for me, as it
is the only cause for not putting Dovecot in production in
all mail servers in my University.

When moving/copying messages, some of them get stuck in the
tmp directory of the destination folder, effectively lost for
the user.

I have been tracing the problem, and it looks that it happens
with messages that have flags. The others don't have problems.
But if I copy/move several flagged messages, one of them is
copied, and the others are kept in tmp.

In maildir-save.c there is the following comment:

    /* if we have flags, we'll move it to cur/ directly, because files in
       new/ directory can't have flags. alternative would be to write it
       in new/ and set the flags dirty in index file, but in that case
       external MUAs would see wrong flags. */

that looks like a clue.

It happens with CVS versions 20060320 and 20060325
I hace done almost all tests with Thunderbird.

Best regards.