[Dovecot] Dovecot LDA + Fedora destribution = no go?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 22:03:43 EEST 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-26 at 12:36, Marcus Rueckert wrote:
> > As an alternative to an LDA, would it be possible to let
> > deliveries go to /var/spool/mail in mbox format, then
> > have dovcot (in imap mode only) transparently move them
> > to maildir with appropriate indexing?   I'd prefer to have
> > mbox format for users that use pop to download everything
> > but have maildir folders for imap users who keep things
> > on the server.
>
> what about pop users who keep the mail on the server?
> than you have the same as an imap user.

No, the inefficient operations on mbox files are where
you move things into other folders or delete some
messages from the middle.  Pop users don't do those
things on the server.  Besides, I think the only
reason anyone ever sets their pop client to leave
messages on my server is that they check mail from more
than one location, but their 'main' computer will delete
when it downloads.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com