[Dovecot] backup strategie - any ideas and tips

Jan Kundrát jkt at gentoo.org
Tue May 2 13:02:04 EEST 2006

Glenn Davy wrote:
> forgive my nievness, and also for top posting - as Ive lost the OP - seeing as
> someones raised the issue of backup ideas and tips - is there anything
> fundamentally wrong with rsync to another (either local or remote location)?

Well, there might be one issue, IMHO - what happens if you're backing up
a huge mailbox (say over 1GB) and a message from the beginning gets
deleted)? I'd say that you'll have to employ the same locking scheme as
you've configured Dovecot to do and then you should be pretty safe. I'm
not sure about the performance (and that's the whole mailbox-maildir
flame)...

I'm not a backup guru, though :)

Cheers,
-jkt