[Dovecot] backup strategie - any ideas and tips

Glenn Davy gdavy at tpg.com.au
Tue May 2 13:14:50 EEST 2006

On Tuesday 02 May 2006 20:02, Jan Kundrát wrote:
> Glenn Davy wrote:
> > forgive my nievness, and also for top posting - as Ive lost the OP -
> > seeing as someones raised the issue of backup ideas and tips - is there
> > anything fundamentally wrong with rsync to another (either local or
> > remote location)?
>
> Well, there might be one issue, IMHO - what happens if you're backing up
> a huge mailbox (say over 1GB)
fortunately my clients data is still all quite small - the entire set wouldnt
be half that yet..
> and a message from the beginning gets
> deleted)?
... but yes what if. I was wondering about that. I took mine offline for the
initial rsync (which runs accross the pacific), and now only changes are
backed up - which is quite quick - I guess its good luck that this hasnt
happened yet, only a matter of time though
> I'd say that you'll have to employ the same locking scheme as
> you've configured Dovecot to do and then you should be pretty safe.
thanks - I'll look into this - I havent given it much thought