[Dovecot] Sending email over IMAP?

Marc Perkel marc at perkel.com
Thu May 4 19:35:54 EEST 2006

Jakob Hirsch wrote:
> Marc Perkel wrote:
>

>> I'm advocating for a change in the IMAP specification to allow outgoing
>>

> Not as bad as your usual ideas, but it has been thought before:
>
> http://www.courier-mta.org/imap/smap.html
>
> I doubt that something like this will spread in the foreseeable future.

You are referring to this?

    * SMAP allows a single transaction to save a new message in the
      "Sent" folder, and mail it to its designated recipients. IMAP
      clients need to transmit the message a second time, using SMTP,
      requiring twice as much bandwidth and time as SMAP to do the same
      thing.

I'd really like to see something like this happen. Wonder what it would
take for Dovecot to implement some protocol experimentally to do
something like this?