[Dovecot] Sending email over IMAP?

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Thu May 4 19:46:30 EEST 2006

Quoting Marc Perkel <marc at perkel.com>:

>    * SMAP allows a single transaction to save a new message in the
>      "Sent" folder, and mail it to its designated recipients. IMAP
>      clients need to transmit the message a second time, using SMTP,
>      requiring twice as much bandwidth and time as SMAP to do the same
>      thing.

This would save bandwidth _if_ you use a remote sent-mail folder.  Other
than that, I see no reason/advantage for it...

At best, it introduces problems like handling the case where one operation
(sending it) works but the other (saving it to sent-mail) fails.  How
do you resolve that?

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics