[Dovecot] running only the dovecot-auth service

Udo Rader udo.rader at bestsolution.at
Thu May 4 19:35:59 EEST 2006

Hi,

we are just testing postfix 2.3 in combination with its new dovecot SASL
plugin. Now what we would like to have was dovecot SASL without acutally
running dovecot ...

The reason for this is because we have the "real" dovecot running on a
different server than the postfix instance and it would be nice if it
would not be necessary running an "full" dovecot on that server for only
SASL support.

So is it possible to start only the "dovecot-auth" part of dovecot?

Another idea that I had was to export the created auth socket via nfs.
Somewhere, sometimes I think to have read that it was possible to use
unix domain sockets over nfs mounted shares, but I am not sure about
this (and have failed so far).

Udo Rader

--
bestsolution.at EDV Systemhaus GmbH