[Dovecot] running only the dovecot-auth service

Udo Rader udo.rader at bestsolution.at
Fri May 5 12:18:00 EEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 18:11 +1000, Joshua Goodall wrote:
> On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 06:35:59PM +0200, Udo Rader wrote:
> > So is it possible to start only the "dovecot-auth" part of dovecot?
>
> not currently.
>
> we do this too; we just disable IMAP and leave POP3 listening on
> 127.0.0.1 only (also handy for testing).

Hmm, ok, not perfect, but still better than have it listen on the
external IP.

> > Another idea that I had was to export the created auth socket via nfs.
> > Somewhere, sometimes I think to have read that it was possible to use
> > unix domain sockets over nfs mounted shares, but I am not sure about
> > this (and have failed so far).
>
> Sockets over networks are known as TCP/IP :).  For this to work as described,
> NFS would have to gain the capability to stream data about willy-nilly.
> Let's hope that never happens.

Yes ... I cannot say much against it. My old brain just claims to have
read some article about "difference windows sockets vs. unix domain
sockets" and one of the differences "should" have been that unix domain
sockets are useable over nfs mounts. But, obviously this seems quite
unlikely, for sure :-)

regards

Udo Rader

--