[Dovecot] Maildir folder hierarchy question

Richard Leszczynski rjrl101 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat May 6 22:21:15 EEST 2006

Hello all,

I am trying to set up Dovecot to use a particular
maildir folder hierarchy and have a problem that
relates to the inbox.

the folder hierarchy I want in /.../Maildir/ is:

.inbox
	cur
	new
	tmp
	.imap.index.files-for-inbox
.sent-items
	cur
	new
	tmp
	.imap.index.files-for-sent-items

however the hierarchy that dovecot gives me is

.inbox (unused)
.INBOX
	.imap.index.files-for-.INBOX
cur
new
tmp
.sent-items
	cur
	new
	tmp
	.imap.index.files-for-.sent-items

I would like to have the (cur,new,tmp) folders
associated with the the .inbox placed in the .inbox
directory, not alongside it in the main maildir
directory. Dovecot appears to do this automatically
for other folders.  I'm not too bothered if the .inbox
folder has to be capitalised.

Is this possible? I suspect from reading the Dovecot
Q&A that it may not be as the rootdir has special
significance with IMAP but I would like confirmation.

I've currently set my default_mail_env as:

default_mail_env =
maildir:/home/%u/mail/maildir:INBOX=/home/%u/mail/maildir/.inbox

which I thought should do accomplish what I want but
it has no apparent effect.

I'm running SUSE 10.0 with Dovecot 0.99.14-5 (as
installed by Yast). KMail and Outlook are being used
to access Dovecot.

Can anyone help?
thank you,
Richard L