[Dovecot] Recommended FS for Dovecot Maildir

Udo Rader udo.rader at bestsolution.at
Mon May 8 00:56:01 EEST 2006

On Sun, 2006-05-07 at 15:44 -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:
> > Yes, you are right, the cause for this incident was faulty memory and I
> > don't blame reiserfs for failing due to this. But the effect was a
> > unrepairable filesystem and that again was a problem with the repair
> > tools available then.
>
> Not necessarily... faulty memory could cause corruption that NO file
> system repair tools could repair.

Hmm, what kind of corruption should that be? I was not talking about
individual files being lost but an entire partition being inaccessible.

At least in my naive world this is something that should never happen at
all (unless the storage media breaks). AFAIK, any modern filesystem
keeps backups of mission critical data like for example superblocks, but
please feel free to correct me, if I am missing something here.

But in order to become on-topic again, what I was trying to say was that
the quality and availability of disaster recovery tools/procedures is of
major importance when choosing a FS for any server and that is where
reiserfs failed at least for my part.

Udo Rader

--
BestSolution.at EDV Systemhaus GmbH