[Dovecot] Recommended FS for Dovecot Maildir

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon May 8 01:47:22 EEST 2006

On Sun, 2006-05-07 at 16:56, Udo Rader wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-05-07 at 15:44 -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:
> > > Yes, you are right, the cause for this incident was faulty memory and I
> > > don't blame reiserfs for failing due to this. But the effect was a
> > > unrepairable filesystem and that again was a problem with the repair
> > > tools available then.
> >
> > Not necessarily... faulty memory could cause corruption that NO file
> > system repair tools could repair.
>
> Hmm, what kind of corruption should that be? I was not talking about
> individual files being lost but an entire partition being inaccessible.

Everything that's on the disk was written there from a memory
buffer.

> At least in my naive world this is something that should never happen at
> all (unless the storage media breaks). AFAIK, any modern filesystem
> keeps backups of mission critical data like for example superblocks, but
> please feel free to correct me, if I am missing something here.

If the memory buffer does not retain what the OS attempted to
store there, the on-disk copy isn't going to be correct
either - including as many copies as you might try to make.

> But in order to become on-topic again, what I was trying to say was that
> the quality and availability of disaster recovery tools/procedures is of
> major importance when choosing a FS for any server and that is where
> reiserfs failed at least for my part.

There's a reason that servers usually have ECC memory.  You are
better off having uncorrectable errors stop the machine then
continuing with corruption.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com