[Dovecot] Recommended FS for Dovecot Maildir

grant beattie grant at grunta.com
Mon May 8 03:13:04 EEST 2006

On Sun, May 07, 2006 at 11:56:01PM +0200, Udo Rader wrote:

> On Sun, 2006-05-07 at 15:44 -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:
> > > Yes, you are right, the cause for this incident was faulty memory and I
> > > don't blame reiserfs for failing due to this. But the effect was a
> > > unrepairable filesystem and that again was a problem with the repair
> > > tools available then.
> >
> > Not necessarily... faulty memory could cause corruption that NO file
> > system repair tools could repair.
>
> Hmm, what kind of corruption should that be? I was not talking about
> individual files being lost but an entire partition being inaccessible.
>
> At least in my naive world this is something that should never happen at
> all (unless the storage media breaks). AFAIK, any modern filesystem
> keeps backups of mission critical data like for example superblocks, but
> please feel free to correct me, if I am missing something here.

if you are really worried about silent filesystem corruption caused by
bad hardware, I strongly recommend investigating Solaris' ZFS, which
can detect and repair data corruption assuming you have some
redundancy (ie. mirror or raidz). plus it's always consistent on disk
(no fsck, ever). and you get ACLs, snapshots, online expansion, ...
the list goes on.

and getting back on topic, ZFS works very well for Maildir :)

grant.