[Dovecot] Debugging with strace

Fran Fabrizio fran at cis.uab.edu
Wed May 10 18:20:00 EEST 2006

We have a dovecot install that is working fine for everyone except one
user, who complains that it takes a minute or longer to delete a single
message from the INBOX to Trash.  This is happening for him from
multiple IMAP clients so it appears to be server-side.

I wanted to start up a test instance of dovecot alongside the production
one and test there.  So I copied dovecot.conf, put imap on port 10143,
and started up the test server like this:

# strace -tt dovecot -F -c /etc/dovecottest.conf

(I could not find the docs for -F but without it dovecot would quickly
detatch into a daemon and I could no longer strace it... so is -F for
putting dovecot in the foreground like I think?  :-)

I noticed two things when I did this:

1.  My screen just scrolled continuously with poll calls - does dovecot
poll something every second even when it has no clients connected?

2.  It appeared to interfere with the production install running
alongside of it - as I could no longer authenticate to it or copy
messages to my Sent folder when I sent something out through the
production dovecot.  I had to restart the production instance to get it
to behave.

So my questions are whether all that polling output is normal and also,
is my testing method really interfering with the production server, and
if so, how to avoid that?

Thanks,
Fran

--