[Dovecot] IMAP server <defunct> (beta 7)

Graham Briggs graham at historicalengineering.com
Mon May 22 18:17:58 EEST 2006

Hi,

On 22 May 2006, at 15:55, Gunter Ohrner wrote:
> Am Montag, 22. Mai 2006 14:06 schrieb Graham Briggs:
>> when the system clock is changed back.
>
> The system clock should never be stepped during normal operations,
> especially not backwards!
>
> Install a time server which corrects the clock drift by dynamically
> adjusting the system clock's speed, continuously slowly speeding the
> clock up or slowing it down until any time offset is corrected.

Yes, I've installed OpenNTPd to fix this, but for some reason it is
failing to adjust the clock correctly (or the terrible hardware clock
on this server is gaining time faster than openntpd can slow it down
using adjtime()).

I just thought that having dovecot die horribly when the clock is
adjusted (using settimeofday() I assume) wasn't the most desirable
behaviour.

> I'm not sure if OpenNTPd does do this, but AFAIK at least xntpd and
> chronyd do.

xntpd is no longer part of the Debian distribution as far as I can tell.

> Greetings,
>
>   Gunter

Cheers,

Graham