[Dovecot] IMAP server <defunct> (beta 7)

Grobian grobian at gentoo.org
Mon May 22 22:57:49 EEST 2006

On 22-05-2006 16:17:58 +0100, Graham Briggs wrote:
> On 22 May 2006, at 15:55, Gunter Ohrner wrote:
> >Install a time server which corrects the clock drift by dynamically
> >adjusting the system clock's speed, continuously slowly speeding the
> >clock up or slowing it down until any time offset is corrected.
>
> Yes, I've installed OpenNTPd to fix this, but for some reason it is
> failing to adjust the clock correctly (or the terrible hardware clock
> on this server is gaining time faster than openntpd can slow it down
> using adjtime()).

Correcting giant leaps can take somewhat long, as ntpd has to ensure
that the time is going forwards all the time, so usually during boot, a
ntp-client call is done which just sets the time based on a known
server.  After that ntpd should run and keep the clock synchronised with
1 or more other servers.  Are you sure the ntpd has a list of (valid and
reachable!) ntp servers so it can properly adjust the time?

Regards

--
Fabian Groffen