[Dovecot] IMAP server <defunct> (beta 7)

Graham Briggs graham at historicalengineering.com
Tue May 23 14:43:40 EEST 2006

> Correcting giant leaps can take somewhat long, as ntpd has to ensure
> that the time is going forwards all the time, so usually during
> boot, a
> ntp-client call is done which just sets the time based on a known
> server.  After that ntpd should run and keep the clock synchronised
> with
> 1 or more other servers.  Are you sure the ntpd has a list of
> (valid and
> reachable!) ntp servers so it can properly adjust the time?

 From what I've read online, it's a creeping system clock issue in
the Linux kernel (the clock gains a minute every 2 or 3 hours, it
gains faster if there's more network usage, ntpd cannot compete with
that rate of clock skewing). We're going to try using noapic and
other parameters.

That, or run a script daily that shuts down dovecot, fixes the time,
then restarts dovecot!

ntpd is getting the time correctly. syslog is full of 'adjusting
local clock by -xyzs' messages anyway, byt xyz goes up - in 24 hours
it is now 909s!

Cheers for the advice though, I'll pursue the problem somewhere more
relevant from now on!

Graham