[Dovecot] LDA Problem

Dumitru Negara dumitru at itcnetworks.ro
Tue May 23 21:33:26 EEST 2006

Hi,

OK, bellow are my suggestions.

Alexander Dreweke wrote:
> Hi
>
>> First, tell me one thing. What kind of mail users do you have?
>> Real, system users in /etc/passwd or virtual users in other db?
>
> Only system users. No virtual users, and no virtual domains.
>
> cu
> Alexander
>
>>> I'm having a problem with dovecot deliver. I'm using a dovecot version
>>> 1.0.beta8. As I am using a chrooted (/var/spool/postfix) postfix
>>> (version: 2.2.10) with cyrus-sasl authentification (all working).
>>> Postfix config is changed according to the http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA:
>>>
>>> main.cf:
>>> mailbox_command = dovecot
mailbox_command =/usr/lib/dovecot/deliver

>>> master.cf:
>>> dovecot unix - n n - - pipe
>>> flags=DRhu user=vmail:vmail argv=/usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -d
>>> ${recipient}
This is a virtual transport for virtual domains/users. You don't need
this, so you can comment it out.

>>> I have adopted the dovecot.conf also according to
>>> http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA but changed the auth_socket_path to point
>>> into the chroot of postfix. I have attached my dovecot.conf at the end
>>> of this email.
>>>
>>> The mails that are sent to the machine are not delivered at all. In the
>>> mail-logfile I can see the following error message for each mail that
>>> can't be deliverd:
>>>
>>> postfix/pipe[21344]: BC254154E5BD: to=<root>, orig_to=<root>,
>>> relay=dovecot, delay=0, status=bounced (user unknown)
>>>
>>> I've already search the net but could not find any clue how to solve
>>> this. Can anyone give me a hint what to do?
>>>
>>> cu
>>> Alexander
>>>
>>> dovecot.conf:
>>> ===========================================================
>>> protocols = imap imaps
>>> listen = localhost
>>> ssl_listen = *
>>> first_valid_uid = 1000
>>> first_valid_gid = 1000
>>> mail_extra_groups = mail
>>> mail_save_crlf = no
>>> default_mail_env = maildir:/var/mail/%u
>>> protocol imap {
>>> }
>>> protocol lda {
>>> postmaster_address = postmaster at domain.com
>>> auth_socket_path = /var/spool/postfix/var/run/dovecot-auth-master
 From Postfix documentation:

# The mailbox_command parameter specifies the optional external
# command to use instead of mailbox delivery. The command is run as
# the recipient with proper HOME, SHELL and LOGNAME environment settings
So, I think you can use default location here. You don't need to put
this in postfix jail.
auth_socket_path = /var/run/dovecot-auth-master
>>> }
>>> log_timestamp = "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S "
>>> ssl_disable = no
>>> ssl_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/executor.pem
>>> ssl_key_file = /etc/ssl/private/executor.key
>>> ssl_cipher_list = HIGH:MEDIUM
I suggest you this:

auth default {
  # Space separated list of wanted authentication mechanisms:
  #   plain login digest-md5 cram-md5 ntlm rpa apop anonymous gssapi
  mechanisms = plain

  ##
  ## dovecot-lda specific settings
  ##
   socket listen {
     master {
       path = /var/run/dovecot-auth-master
       mode = 0660
       user = dovecot # User running Dovecot LDA
       group = mail # Or alternatively mode 0660 + LDA user in this group
     }
   }

What is bellow looks like configuration for SASL part of Dovecot. If you
are already using cyrus-sasl, this should be commented.
>>> auth default {
>>> mechanisms = plain
>>> passdb pam {
>>> }
>>> userdb passwd {
>>> }
>>> user = root
>>> socket listen {
>>> master {
>>> path =
>>> /var/spool/postfix/var/run/dovecot-auth-master
>>> mode = 0660
>>> user = dovecot
>>> group = mail
>>> }
>>>
>>> client {
>>> path = /var/spool/postfix/var/run/dovecot-auth-client
>>> mode = 0660
>>> user = dovecot
>>> group = mail
>>> }